Air compressors

Acanthus Workshop Forums Power Tool Woodworking Air compressors

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  daddy-o 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

daddy-o

I currently have an air compressor and dual action sander but the air compressor dosen’t keep up with the large reqiurement of air for the sander to function properly. What should i look for in purchasing a new compressor so i aviod this from happening. I currenty have a 60gal 5 hp unit. any guideline or suggestion of compressor some of you have would be great. thanks for the help. Daddy-o

Chuck

If a 60 gallon 5hp compressor isn’t keeping up, you probably have a single stage compressor. It’s not about horsepower, it’s about how much air the compressor produces and how much air the sander consumes. You need to look at the CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating of both tools. If the compressor isn’t producing more than the sander is using, it will never keep up.

It’s been a while but I think I have either a 5 or 7.5 hp compressor with an 80 gal. tank. It’s a two stage compressor which produces more CFM (right around 17 or 18 cfm for this particular compressor). My sanders are Dynabrade sanders which use about 15 cfm each. Unless there are two going in the shop at once, the compressor is always producing more air than the sander can possibly use.

Hope that helps a little…sounds like a good topic for a show…somewhere…

daddy-o

I have a dynabrade sander also and i belive it is a single stage compressor than is oilless. I was thinking your could turn this into an artical for pop wood. How to pick the right comprssor for the tools in your shop or the future tools you may get. Thanks for the info I will check the compressor out more closely. By the way after using the one at your shop i have coverted mine to a 6″ and it was worth it. Thanks for the idea!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories: